Top 10 list of rumors about Kananaskis Country Golf Course
At the time of writing this article, it has been 1055 days or 25,320 hours, or 1,519,200 minutes, or 91, 152, 000 seconds, (I could go on but I think you get the picture…I was really good in grade 1 math…) since June 20th 2013, the day that hundreds of thousands of lives were changed with the epic flood in Southern Alberta.
During the past couple of years of uncertainty about the future of the golf courses, our team took a lot of strength from the kind words that people had to say about how important these golf courses were to them. In the 1055 days since the flood hit, we have met all kinds of people that want to share with us their thoughts relative to KCGC. Here is an attempt to categorize some of our amazing supporters!
1.“The Compassionate one”– people with emotional stories about last rounds played with loved ones, reunions held at our courses, or marriage proposals that took place on our greens.
2. “The Passionate One” – people who hold the strong and unbridled opinion that these courses better get replaced or else…
3. “The Doubter” – Supporters of the courses to be sure, but their opinion was that there was a better chance of hell freezing over, Obama getting a third term, and McDonalds turning vegan than Mt. Kidd and Mt. Lorette being restored.
4.“The Insider” – this is the person who knows someone, who knows someone, who walks the dog for the person who mows the lawn of the person making the decision about the golf course. The only thing that surpasses their passion for these courses was their belief in the rumors that they heard over time. It is this wonderful and entertaining group of people who provided us the meat and substance for this top 10 list of rumors that we have heard since the flood about what the future of these golf courses was. All of these points below have not been made up but represent actual conversations that we have had with different members of the group we call “the Insider” since the flood.
Top Ten List
10) “There will be golf again in Kananaskis but it will only be 18 holes” (most common rumor we have heard by far. Pleased to say that the decision was to restore all 36 holes)
9) (This was said during the election before the NDP party won and the PC party was still in power). “I have heard that the Wildrose party is going to purchase the golf course from the PC party and use it as a tool to get support from the golfers in the Alberta election.
8) The decision has been made to zone the area a bird sanctuary. (That rumor was for the birds…see what I did there?)
7) The courses were going to be used as a number of different paintball courses. (While I love golf and our business and this special place, I would be lying if I didn’t think it would be cool to play paintball out here just once…ONLY ONCE! And then make it back into a golf course. So cool!)
6) The courses are being sold to a Chinese investor who sees it as an investment to market to his country that still dramatically lacks golf courses. (If true, I wonder how well it would have gone over that citizens of China received a “locals discount” but Albertans did not….)
5) The courses are going to be used as an off-leash dog walking park for visitors to the area. (why do I think that Conservation officers in the area might have a thing or two to say about that idea if it was ever close to coming to fruition?)
4) Another casino was being planned for the Valley and the Golf Course area was where they were zoning it. (Hope nobody put any money down in Vegas on this rumor…honestly…I’m on fire…get it…put money down? Casino…gambling. Never mind…I thought it was funny).
3) Yoga retreat (might still have merit…perhaps we could do a yoga/golf retreat? Your thinking about it aren’t you… It has merit doesn’t it??)
2) The area and facilities would be converted for use to being an International School (I would travel across the world to go to school in an area like Kananaskis, are you kidding me? Thankfully this one wasn’t true either!)
1) The courses were going to cost 25 million a hole to fix, so there was no way they were going to commit to that kind of investment. (If it cost $900 million dollars to bring these courses back, I think there would be a better chance of hell freezing over, Obama getting a third term, and McDonalds turning Vegan than us EVER restoring these courses). Thankfully the actual budget for the entire project is less than half of his rumored cost for just one hole!!!
These rumors only represents some of the “Insider information” that we have been exposed to in numerous conversations. Thankfully I am happy to say that the only true rumor is this; Kananaskis Country Golf Course is going to be restored to be a 36 hole facility that will be better than ever so that generations for many many years can come, enjoy the mountains, enjoy the best service anywhere in the world, decompress, and reconnect with family and friends!
Rumor #8 – Bird Sanctuary?? Nope… Rumor #7 – Uhh..nope…not paintball
Rumor #6 – Not so much a Chinese investor… Rumor #5 – Dogs as caddies? but not an off-leash area
Rumor #4 – Casino?? Wouldn’t bet on it.. (AO!) Rumor #3 – Looks amazing doesn’t it! Don’t rule this out yet!
Rumor #2 – Class is out on this rumor Rumor 1 – Can’t believe I found this photo!!!!