One of the most common questions that we are asked about as it relates to the restoration is how are things going? How far along are you out there? Oh..and “can we come out to play yet?. Haha!! All great questions and for that we want to provide you with some answers (and photos). As for the progress, please see below. As for tee time requests, sadly you will have to wait until 2018!!! We can’t wait!
Here is a little update for you since our last newsletter as to the progress being made out here by our amazing Restoration and Grow in teams.
- Last week of June- The sodding on the Mt. Lorette golf course was completed and now the grow in phase for all 18 holes is well underway. We can’t thank all of our contractors and Kan-Alta grow in team enough for all of their hard work and attention to detail to help bring these courses back for all of us to enjoy.
2. TC Irrigation continues to make great strides and have completed 7 holes on the front 9 of Kidd and well into their 8th hole. They have also started doing work on the mainline of the back nine of Kidd which will be a huge help once they are done the front nine of Kidd. Great progress being made by some very dedicated and hard working people!
3. Goodwin golf has projects all over the Mt. Kidd course including:
a) drainage work on the back nine,
b) finished the green construction on 11 Kidd
c) tee, bunker, and berm construction on 11 Kidd
d) finish shaping work on 1, 8, 7, 6, 3, 4, and now 5 Kidd that takes place immediately after the irrigation work has been completed.
e) much, much more!
They have a complicated task of staying ahead of the irrigation team and taking care of finalizing drainage, rough shaping, and bunker construction before the irrigation team gets on a hole. As soon as irrigation is done their work on a hole, the keys are handed over from TC irrigation to Goodwin golf to start on the fine shaping which involves getting rid of rocks, double checking drainage, putting the finishing touches on tee and green mix before sod goes on, and working on the tie ins around tees, greens, bunkers, cart paths, and curbing. Lots to do in a short amount of time, but always done at the highest levels possible!
4. Sodding – As we mentioned earlier we completed sodding on the Mt. Lorette course toward the end of June. Since that time, the team from Bos Sod has sodded 1, 8, 7, and 3/4’s of #6 Kidd. For the week of July 24th they will come in and complete the blue grass on 6, 3, and 4 kidd and then put the T-1 Bentgrass down on 6 and 3 Kidd greens. #4, 5, and 2 Kidd greens will be shortly behind these two. If the weather continues to hold, we can continue to expect to see great progress from Bos Sod to help us achieve our goal of sodding both courses by the end of the season.
5. Grow in team – Kan-Alta golf’s grow in team continues to do a fantastic job of nurturing and taking care of all holes that have been sodded. To date 22 and 3/4 holes have been completed and are in very good hands! Responsibilities for this team include:
a) mowing all parts of the course
b) cutting in fairways and tees
c) removing bunker tile once the edges of the traps have firmed up
d) weeding the courses
e) limbing trees
f) rolling and verti-cutting greens
g) seeding and hydro mulching fescue areas,
h) cleaning out bunkers,
i) ensuring all areas of the course are well irrigated (not an easy task with all this beautiful warm and dry weather!).
i) much, much, much more!!
Look forward to bringing you more updates of our progress as we continue to push forward on this journey of bringing back Mt. Kidd and Mt. Lorette to all of you!!